1. Ok you pay your taxes but budgets at every school are tight. Money raised in school fundraisers is often used to pay for those little extras that can make a school a little more special.
2. Knowing that they can (within reason) predict a certain level of fundraised extra income each year allows the school administrators to plan an effective and realistic budget.
3. Helping at PTA fundraising events helps you get to know your kid's teachers better and understand the way the school works.
4. Being part of the PTA helps you get to know other parents and their children. This is important for school matters but also great for a more active social life!
5. By joining the PTA you have the chance to promote and enhance your school's standing within your local community.
6. Although occasionally embarrassed (watch older kids squirm as you talk to teachers and other parents) most children do actually like to know that you are there for them, taking an interest and sharing their experience.
7. Talking to other parents helps you and them. Sharing experiences and parenting tips helps us all.
8. The commitment is not too much. The occasional meeting, event or other school fundraiser.
9. Everyone has different talents and skills they can bring to the school and parents are a great interface between the school and the 'outside world.'
10. Its actually quite fun to be a part of events and see them in action!